Friday, 12 May 2017

A new found love for derby

I remember when I first got into skating. I was about eight and I tagged along with my big sister and her friends to the ice rink. Like anybody starting out, I wasn't very good at it and spent a lot of time either on the floor, glued to the side rail or holding somebody's hand. 

After that, I nagged my parents for a pair of skates and luckily found some at a car boot sale. They were inline skates with a buckle fastening and polka dot lining. Sure, they may have been scuffed at the toes and a little tatty but they were mine and I loved them. After a few tumbles and lots of scuffed knees, I'd nailed it and could lap the block a few times.

It's been awhile since then and up until recently, I hadn't really given skating much thought. It took until one of my friends had her 16th birthday at a roller rink that I got back into skates. It was a bit weird at first and I was slipping and sliding all over the place. I suppose it's like riding a bike: you can't forget how to do it once you've learnt but you can become a bit rusty. Within an hour or so, I got the hang of it and would even do some little tricks like jump and 'whip' another person around the track. Granted I did fall over (and knock other people over- oops!!) quite a bit, but it's all fun and games right?

It was in the that moment that I realised skating made me happy. Happy in a way I couldn't put words to. I suppose it's similar for people who love to swim, or draw or play music. In that moment you're focused, determined and infinite.

 After that, I decided skating was a hobby I wanted to pursue so I saved up and bought myself a new pair of quads. Naturally that lead to my watching of Whip It  and oh my gosh- I think I may have fallen in love with roller derby! If you're unfamiliar with the sport, here is a definition I got from good old Wikipedia:

Roller derby is a contact sport played by two teams of five members roller skating in the same direction (counterclockwise) around a track. Game play consists of a series of short match ups (jams) in which both teams designate a jammer who scores points by lapping members of the opposing team. The teams attempt to hinder the opposing jammer while assisting their own jammer—in effect, playing both offense and defense simultaneously.

You've got to be sixteen to join a league which kind of sucks, but I've contacted my local team and they said they'd be happy to have me on the next new skater intake which is September/ October time.

I just thought I'd share this with you as it's something I'm really passionate about. 
Do you have any unusual hobbies?

Health and happiness,
Marti xxx

8 comments:

  1. love this post-I love roller skating too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We should go together one day :)

      Delete
  2. Sprouting a new love for something is the most satisfying thing, isn't it? I wouldn't say my hobby is unusual but I love dancing. If you don't already know, I used to be an en pointe dancer and I'm striving to become a pro dancer.

    #sweetreats xx www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so much cooler than me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Those patches are pretty amazing! ^_^

    www.theoccupiedoptimist.com

    ReplyDelete